Monday, October 11, 2010

Symmes Township, Hamilton County, Ohio

Why Symmme Purchase in South West Ohio.


Symmes Township, Hamilton County, Ohio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmes_Township,_Hamilton_County,_Ohio
 My Personal history with Symmes Township, Ohio.

So many things:

  1. From around age 6 months until 3 years old, I lived in a house on a hill directly across the river from Symmes Twp, but in Loveland.  My Grandfather had converted the top of his barn into an apartment.  (It was actually a part of the Miami Purchase) The Little Miami River was the dividing line. After my Grandfather died, we  lived in Losantiville from the time I was 3 until I was 5. Not part of Symmes Township, but if you have been reading along, you know that it was one of the first 3 settlements in the purchase. .
  2. My Maternal Grandparents are buried at Union Cemetery at the corner of Union Cemetery Rd and Montgomery Road. I remember taking flowers there every Memorial Day and adding a flag for my Grandfathers grave. He was not listed as a veteran, because his military record was expunged so he could work in Japan, before WWII. There are extra grave sites there, perhaps I will be there some day.
  3. Chateau Laroche
  4. My former in laws lived in 2 locations there. One at Montgomery Road almost across from Union Cemetery. - What great times we had there! Several acres to enjoy and they farmed the fields owned by someone else too. - It's all shopping there now. It was a shock last time I was there.
  5. My former husband grew up in Loveland Park, along the river right down the road from "The Castle." On their website you will see a black and white selection of photos on the bottom left. That is what it looked like when I knew Harry.
  6. Driving down the hill to visit friends the brakes went out in the pick up I was driving. I had my 2 kids with me, I cannot believe I made the turn at the bottom of the hill. I don't think I ever drove down there again. I parked at the top and walked., lol
  7. 
    http://www.rivers.gov/wsr-little-miami.html
    I lived directly across the river at the top of a hill overlooking Loveland.
  8. I worked with the committee to get the Little Miami River designated as "A Wild and Scenic River." The River was always a big part of life. Walking across the bridges, riding the horses through it, canoeing, swimming, just sitting and watching it roll past.
  9. The last place I lived in Ohio (moved to NJ in 1983) was on 10 acres of the rolling land on Kemper Road, near the bend. A great little house with a big pasture and my horse, Shinny.
  10. As an adult my spiritual life was centered at Kemper Road Center for Religious Development, later change to The Swedenborgian Church of Montgomery. I remember helping to plant the gardens to make the Wedding Chapel. This past year, that building was torn down and the congregation will be finding a new home.
  11. Symmes Township - My former Brother in Law worked for them for years. There was always a rumor that he had helped bury a Circus Animal there, but I don't know if it is true or not.
  12. Camp Dennison - The short cut from Loveland to Terrace Park/Milford - The place where a friend lived. The School House Restaurant, Old Family Stories and Graves and yes, the river is there too.
So those are some of the reasons why this New Jerseyan is interested in the history of Symmes Township.

Detailed history of Symmes Township, New Jersey.
http://www.symmestownship.org/cp_symmes_history.php

Please check the 2 previous blogs about John Cleves Symmes 
http://ahistorywriter.blogspot.com/2010/09/john-cleves-symmes-and-symmes-purchase.html
and his Symmes Purchase.
http://ahistorywriter.blogspot.com/2010/10/symmes-purchase-2-southwestern-ohio.html

No comments: