Friday, September 17, 2010

A secret place to find well written Historical Fiction!

I did not post to the blog yesterday, because a book called out to me from my bookshelf. I am half way through reading the book. It's much more interesting then anything on television.

"A Princeton Boy in the Revolution", by Paul G. Tomlinson


It's one of my great finds at a book sale or ebay or old book store. What a great little book!  I looked up Paul G Tomlinson and found out that he was a very prolific writer for children and adults. While he was writing, he was, also, the Director of Princeton University Press from 1917.

Amazon Kindle has 26 of Mr. Tomlinson's books available. Well that certainly makes the Kindle more interesting to me, but I don't know that I can give up the feel of a book in my hands. I am learning to make use of technology. I just turned around and successfully scanned and cropped this picture of the book for you! (YEAH, I can do this!)

________________________________________________________________

If you enjoy reading Historical Fiction even half as much as I do, do not overlook the children's and young adults section of your library.

To get started I highly recommend 2 great series of books both by Scholastic:

My name is America:
  • THE JOURNAL OF JEDEDIAH BARSTOW: An Emigrant on the Oregon Trail, Overland, 1845 by Ellen Levine
  • THE JOURNAL OF RUFUS ROWE: A Witness to the Battle of Fredricksburg, Bowling Green, Virginia, 1862 by Sid Hite
  • THE JOURNAL OF BRIAN DOYLE: A Greenhorn on an Alaskan Whaling Ship, 1874 by Jim Murphy
  • and many more...
Dear America series by Scholastic:
  • HEAR MY SORROW: The Diary of Angela Denoto, a Shirtwaist Worker, New York City, 1909 by Deborah Hopkinson
  • I WALK IN DREAD: The Diary of Deliverance Trembley, Witness to the Salem Witch Trials, Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1691  by Lisa Rowe Fraustino
  • EARLY SUNDAY MORNING: The Pearl Harbor Diary of Amber Billows, Hawaii, 1941 by Barry Denenberg
  • and many more...

 Interesting I knew that some of the books I had picked up had boy characters and some girl. I guess I never noticed that they were designed that way, lol

I think there is a series that intermixes boys and girls, probably by someone besides Scholastic.

I hope this will give you many new reading adventures!


No comments: