Thursday, October 14, 2010

Roebling and The Story of the Brooklyn Bridge


Performances to be held at the Roebling Auditorium
Oct 15 -17 and Oct 22-24, 2010
A terrific story!   My husband and I will definitely be attending. I might have missed it, if I had not thought about our Roebling trip, when I was writing about Nikola Tesla. Interesting how it all winds together.

For more information about the performances: see the Roebling Museum website ( http://www.roeblingmuseum.org/)

It is great to see that the museum has come into existance. It may have been 10 years ago, that Bill (husband) and I went to explore Roebling, the factory and the company town. The whole grounds of the factory are an EPA Superfund Site. What was intriguing for us is that you can see the factory from the side road  area. It was posted do not enter, but the roadway was not blocked. We did not see a car at the rundown building near the entrance about 1/4 mile but viewable. Well I guess it was me that really pushed Bill to see if we could drive back to see the building and take pictures. You never saw a guard that marerialized as fast as the one that blocked our way. He basically said, "Can't you read, are you stupid, No Entry, means No Entry."  Well he didn't have us arrested so that was good. Just another history adventure with Susan and Bill. lol

I heard at the time, that there was a group forming to put together a Museum. I am thrilled to see that it now exists. It is even in the building where our dear guard must have been stationed. They have done a lot of renovation on the building and turned it into a museum. It will definitely be on our weekend agenda!


http://www.roeblingmuseum.org/


The EPA rebuilt the gatehouse as part of the Super Fund cleanup. It was turned over to Roebling Museum in Jund 2009.

I am looking forward to an outing to the Museum and to see the play! Take an afternoon and evening and go for a visit!

No comments: