Friday, October 29, 2010

Atlantic Heritage Center - Jewish Farmers at Estelleville.


http://www.atlanticheritagecenternj.org/index.asp
 I have been a bit under the weather this week, but I did not miss my volunteer day at Atlantic Heritage Center. It use to be called Atlantic County Historic Society. I was not involved in the change and I have no clue as to why, so don't ask me. lol


Celebrating the Past, Present, and Future
of Atlantic County, New Jersey!

Okay, this is the headline on the home page so, I think it is a clue to the name change. Atlantic County has become a very divers place in the past 20 years and focusing on the present and future rather takes it out of the "Historic only."

I am constantly amazed at the level of documents, books, maps and other items that are part of the collection. There is a wonderful museum, where you can take a tour. (If you are lucky the curator, Ruth, will have time to show you around.) Not only are the library and museum full of information, but the people who volunteer and those who come to do research.

This month, two people were working on a talk for the Pineland Preservation Society. They were using a map of the area from 1872. A terrific map that not only had the owners names, but the location of their deed records. While the map was out, I took the opportunity to write down the names and deed numbers for the area which was the Jewish farming settlement, called Estellville.

Upon further research I found that the settlement did not exist until 1882, but I was already launched on my distraction for the day.

http://www.brandes-immigrantstofreedom.com/
I found a good book with some specific information:

Immigrants to Freedom, by Joseph Brandes, Ph.D

The Estelleville Jewish Community was part of a land development by General Burbridge of Atlantic City. It was poor soil, a few poorly built houses and no backup plan for getting through the first winter. I had hoped to find more information, but it disappeared withing a year after the crops failed and a sad fire. Apparently everyone moved back to cities.

I still have an interest in the group of land developers and the Jewish farmers, who came and went so quickly. If you know anything more, about it. Please get in touch with me.

There were 2 other Jewish Farming communities listed in the book. One in Mizpah and one called, Hebron, located near Landisville. Other more successful communities existed in Cape Many and Cumberland Counties.

It is a very interesting phase in the History of South Jersey. More about it on another day.

No comments: