Sunday, September 12, 2010

Where the hippies are...

Second Saturday Sing

I had 2 social events Saturday, inspiring seperate entries.

Second Saturday Sing... Well it is a group of folks that gather once a month to have a potluck diner and sing with guitars,dulcimer and whatever other instruments are brought along. They songbook of choice is "Rise up Singing."

What does this have to do with hippies... Well the group has existed for too many years to think about, although I am sure someone will tell me. It started out as First Friday Sing and I believe was started by parents and teachers from the "New School." Okay, who remembers that school???

Many years ago, I took a friend with me to the Sing and her response was, "Oh, I always wondered where the Hippies went." I looked around the room and thought about it, she was absolutely correct. I am certainly one of the old hippies and so were a lot of others in the group. 

We have great fun singing the folk songs from our youth, sometimes creating new lyrics and sometimes adding a new song. I love it, because there is no criticism of those of us who sing off key and have no idea how to keep the time of the song. We just all sing along with gusto. 

In fact, we were joined last night by Larry, who now lives on Maui and has started a singing group their. He likes his group but says, "He wishes we could all come and join his group to give them a bit more spirit and speed them up a little." We all volunteered to go, if he would pay for the transportation.

If you want to join us, just let me know, everyone is welcome.





No comments: