Thursday, September 9, 2010

The History Writer blog begins with a laugh.

"History does not change," says my husband, "that's why you like it."

A true statement, well except for yesterday. I was writing an article about Charlie "Cigarman" Birdsall, an early NJ stock car racer. His home track was Wall Township Stadium Speedway, which is the last asphalt oval stadium still operating in New Jersey. I decided to write about the Speedway too. All was ready to send off to the editor, except for Speedway Pictures and permission for using the logo. The article contained free advertising for them and I could not figure out why I could not reach them by email or phone.

Surprise, things changed. I went to the website yesterday and Guess what....


The track closed last Friday September 3, 2010.... Time for a quick rewrite.... roflol
Actually, I am very sad that the track has closed. As I say in the last paragraph in the rewritten article.

"With the closing of yet another oval track in New Jersey, one wonders where the next, Jimmy Blewett, Martin Truex Jr. , Ray Evernham and even Richard Petty will start their race careers".

2 comments:

Gloria j Zucaro said...

Hi Susan,

I read this part about the track closing..reminds me of one of the last outdoor (drive-in) movie theaters in McHenry county, IL.

It is a shame that life seems to have to cycle. "What goes up must eventually come down." probably because the people running it are out of energy or money and no one else picks up where they left off.

Susan Ditmire said...

Hi Gloria and all.
I did get my article reworked and published in December 2010.

http://ahistorywriter.blogspot.com/2011/01/back-to-wall-stadium-where-we-started.html

Enjoy, this follow up blog entry!